loganholme state school

Our proud history...(slightly good for bedtime reading). But its our history so added it all the same.

Loganholme State School was first opened on May 19, 1873. According to historical records, the official opening was held on May 28 of that same year. In October of that year when the District Inspector, Mr J Gerard Anderson visited, the enrolment was 37 pupils (17 boys and 20 girls). The original school campus was sited on the corner of Cotton Companys Road and the Pacific Highway until March 1974, when the school occupied new buildings on the present site, adjacent to the original. Enrolment in 1974 was approximately 70 pupils.

The original school building is now a one-teacher school museum sited in the grounds of the Queensland University of Technology, Kelvin Grove Campus. It was replaced in the late 1960's with 2 demountable style classrooms. In 1988 the Logan Motorway was constructed over the old Cotton Companys Road, providing access from the Drews Road exit. In May 1998, the school community celebrated the 125th Anniversary of Loganholme State School.

Water hyacinth became a problem on the river from around 1908. By 1914 it had increased to such an extent that a boom had to be
constructed across the river to allow the ferry to cross. The first motor cars utilized the ferry from about 1910. The traffic continued
to increase and by 1930, the ferry operator, Vince Kunde built a second ferry to cope with the demand. The days of the double ferry
were numbered however, as a bridge was under construction at that time.
The Loganholme Bridge opened on July 1, 1931. It operated as a toll bridge with the toll collector occupying the old ferryman’s
cottage. The toll booths remained in operation until November 1945, although the bridge had more than paid for itself by that time.
Further serious flooding occurred in January 1947 when the bridge approaches were washed away. The Waterford Bridge also washed
away and this led to increased traffic on the Loganholme Bridge.
The Albert Shire established a park under the bridge in the early 1950’s. It was known as Logan Park and provided a pleasant stopover
for travelers to the Gold Coast. By 1967, a new bridge was built in conjunction with an upgrade of the Pacific Highway. The new
bridge catered for southbound traffic, while the old bridge carried northbound vehicles. During the 1974 floods, the southern
approaches to the old bridge were washed away and only the new bridge could be utilized during the 10 weeks it took to make
restoration.
The tourism industry was developing along with the urban sprawl. Both Ashtons and Bullens Circuses were lobbying the Albert Shire
Council for approval to construct Lions Parks. In December 1968, Bullens were negotiating the purchase of land in Stapylton and
Ashtons established their park on the corner of Bryants Road and the Pacific Highway. Both of these ventures were relatively short
lived.
Myer Queensland Stores Ltd purchased the Ashtons Lion Park site in October 1977 with the intention of building a regional shopping
centre. A new tavern opened in Loganholme in July 1979. The Wild Waters Water Slide Park began operation in October 1982
adjacent to the old Ashtons site. Myer initially shelved the plans for the major shopping centre and a more compact shopping centre,
the Loganholme Shopping Village opened on Bryants Road in December 1987. On-going negotiations by Myer for the Hyperdome site
involved the sale of Wild Waters in 1984. The turning of the first sod on the Hyperdome project occurred in September 1988 with the
official opening in July 1989.
The Logan Motorway, initially known as the Goodna-Loganholme Road, was constructed to link the Cunningham & Pacific Highways via
Carol Park, Brown Plains, Loganlea and Loganholme. Initial planning scheduled completion of stage 1 by December 1988. By October
1995 the company announced the duplication of the road between the Ipswich Motorway and the Gateway extension via Kuraby, in
1997. One of the last links with the history of the area was lost in this process with the Logan Motorway consuming the Old Cotton
Company Road at Loganholme.
A new bridge at Loganholme was constructed with Bi-centennial funding in 1986. This led to the decommissioning of the old 1931
bridge, while the 1968 bridge was still used. Plans for the Pacific Motorway (M1) were announced in April 1996. The northern
interchange on the Motorway included the completion and integration of the duplication of the Logan Motorway. Construction began
in late 1997 and was completed in September 2000. The Motorway construction led to further bridge construction during 2000.