In Memory of Grand Duke George Alexandrovich Romanov

Grand Duke George was the third child of Emperor Alexander III and Empress Maria ("Minnie") Romanov of Russia. He was born in 9 May 1871 in Tsarskoe Selo Russia. And after his older brother Nicholas,he was next in line for the Imperial throne.
As a child he was much healthier and stronger than Nicholas. And most cleverest of the Imperial family. He liked making games for him,Nicky and their sister Xenia to play. He was always full of fun and mischief. He was taller than his older brother,handsome with the Romanov blue eyes. He was also his mother's favorite. He often got away with naughty pranks just because she loved him the most. But he was not spoiled. Both him and Nicholas slept in uncomfortable camp cots and woke at six in the morning took cold baths in the mornings. They had porridge and black bread for breakfast; mutton cutlets or roast beef with peas and baked potatoes were served for lunch, bread, butter and jam at tea-time. Cake was a special treat. But he lead a happy life. Both his parents loved him and all his siblings very much. He was also very smart. Having been taught by the best professors he spoke fluently in English,Danish,Russian of course and French.
He showed a special interest in joining the navy but could not because he fell a victim to tuberculosis in 1890. His mother was greatly worried and thought the sun and fresh air would do him good,so he and Nicholas traveled on a nine-month long trip to Japan in 1890. George would go as a naval cadet and Nicholas to complete his education by seeing something of the world. They left Gatchina on 4 November 1890.. "You cannot imagine how sad and hard it is to be without you, my angel, and how dreadfully it hurts to think of this long separation", the Empress wrote sadly. She had never been separated from her sons for such a long amount of time.
In Athens they brothers met their cousin Prince George of Greece, nicknamed:"Greek Georgie". From there, they travelled to Egypt. From Bombay in India, Nicholas telegraphed that his brother George had to remain on ship because he had trouble with his leg. Although George assured his parents that he was perfectly well, they were suddenly informed he had a fever and would have to return home. The Empress was alarmed. "You can't imagine in what anguish I have passed these last few days", she wrote. "In spite of all the reasoning ... I had to take things calmly, and to tell myself that it ... is only this horrible malaria that will pass with a change of air ..."
It maybe died down,but never pasted completely. In 1894, Alexander III died and Nicholas mounted the throne as Emperor. At the time, Nicholas had no children, and according to the laws of succession of the Russian Empire. George became Tsarevich.
Sadly,Ill-health had forced him to relocate to Likani. It was impossible for him to return to St. Petersburg for the funeral of his father, Alexander III. The doctor had forbidden it. Nicholas wrote to his brother, "... constantly pray to God to send you a full and speedy recovery, and to comfort you, because it is so much more difficult to be alone after such great sorrow than it is for us who are at least together!" ] George also missed the christenings of Nicholas' elder daughters, Olga and Tatiana. Shortly after the birth of Nicholas' third daughter, Maria, in June 1899, George wrote to his brother, "I am terribly sad that I have not yet been able to see your daughters and get to know them; but what can I do! It means it's not my fate, and everything is the will of God."
The visits from his mother to Likani were very enjoyable. In 1895, George and his mother visited Denmark. They had not seen their Danish relatives for four years. Of course, it was sad as it was the first time for both of them without the late Csar. Then suddenly, his health came falling apart. "Yesterday, in the garden, he expectorated some blood...that frightened me more than I can tell - the surprise of it was shocking, because he had been so well of late...I am quite desperate that this should have happened here" Empress Maria wrote. As a result George was forbidden to smoke and confined to bed until he was fit enough to return to Likani. Writing to Nicholas back home once again, George said about his trip to Denmark, "Of course it was good to see the family after 4 years, but it did not really do me any good, as I lost more than 5 pounds which I had put on with such difficulty in May and June. I also get out of breath more easily. So these are the results of my trip. Very annoying."
Things never got any better and on August 9th 1899 George died. He had been driving his motorcycle but never returned home. His worried servants found his body being cradled by a peasant woman on the side of the rode with blood dripping from his mouth.
The news reached Nicholas by telegram and he had the difficult task of telling his mother. She broke down and wept. He had seldom been out of her thoughts for the last few years and his death came as a terrible shock. His family were completely devastated. Nicholas was especially grief-stricken at losing his younger brother and childhood playmate. Grand Duke Konstantin Konstantinovich of Russia wrote, "Everyone was struck, as if by lightning, by this sad and unexpected news. Queen Victoria wrote to Nicholas II, "Pray accept the expression of my sincerest sympathy in this great sorrow, for I know the affection you had for your poor brother Georgy, whose life was so sad and lonely" "The Dowager Empress telegraphed Queen Victoria, "Thank you so much for kind sympathy in this terrible sudden bereavement...My poor dearest son died quite alone. Am heartbroken." On 14 August 1899, he was laid to rest in the St.Peter and Paul Cathedral in St.Petersburg, not far from his late father, Alexander III. During the service, his mother stood without tears, only deep suffering was imprinted on her face. When the coffin was put down into the tomb, Maria Feodorovna stood next to Xenia, holding her arm-in-arm and suddenly, looking at her daughter with widely open, unseeing eyes, she loudly said, "Let's go home. Let's go home, I cannot stand it anymore!" and she rushed out. When a board was laid down for leaving the tomb, she went away so quickly that it was difficult for others to keep pace with her. Nobody even had enough time to throw flowers on to the tomb. In the carriage she sobbed for a long time, pressing to her breast Georgy's hat that she took off the coffin's cover.
He may have been gone. But he is still remembered. While in captivity Nicholas could often be heard laughing at the list of jokes George had made up. Which he kept in a little box. And his younger brother Grand Duke Micheal named his son after him. This George also died young,in a car wreck at the age of 20.