West Franklin Historical District and Silkwood Inn Museum

The Mulkeytown Grade School houses the West Franklin Historical District & Genealogical Society. Restorations continue on this former elementary school, but exhibits are in place, and range from coal to Indian artifacts.

The Silkwood Inn was built in 1857 and owned by Brazilla Silkwood; this ole inn has been restored and furnished by the Mulkeytown Area Historical Society. It is the only remaining structure alsong the old Shawneetown - Kaskaskia Trail that connected Southern Illinois communities in the early 1800's.

Brazilla Silkwood, proprietor of the inn, arrived in the Mulkeytown area in 1822. The inn was frequented by travelers on the Shawneetown - Kaskaskia Trail on their way to St. Louis.