Ravenshaw College, Ravenshaw University

R A V E N S H A W - Since 1868
"ज्ञानं एब शक्ति "
Come and be a part of it...

To walk through the corridor of Ravenshaw College is to walk through the corridor of history. The imposing red building in the heart of Cuttack, the commercial capital of Orissa, stands witness to many educational, cultural and political movements that have shaped modern Orissa over the last 150 years.

After the great famine of 1866, the people of Orissa and few liberal Britons wanted to start a college at Cuttack. Thomas Edward Ravenshaw, Officiating Commissioner of Orissa Division finally made the Government of Bengal realise the difficulties of Oriya students in getting College education and succeeded in obtaining permission to start collegiate classes in the Cuttack Zilla School. Thus the first College in Orissa was born in January 1868 with only intermediate classes and having six students on roll.

The College with all its glorious academic achievement and ceaseless scholastic pursuits had already created a distinct niche for itself in India and beyond. The history of this great institution is, in a manner of speaking, the history of modern Orissa. It was the cradle of ideas fostering national unity and nationalism, promoting social mobilization and gearing up the freedom struggle.

The grand hall of this institution was a theatre of history : on the 1st of April'1936 it was the venue for the declaration of Orissa as a separate province; thereafter it housed the state's first legislative assembly upto and even after Independence till it was shifted to Bhubaneswar, the new capital of the state. During Quit India Movement of 1942 the students of this institution brought down the Union Jack as a mark of nationalistic fervour.

The College originally was affiliated to Calcutta University and thereafter to Patna University in 1917 and was finally affiliated to Utkal University in 1943. The Utkal University began functioning from this campus till it was shifted to its present site at Vani Vihar, Bhubaneswar. This institution is the alma mater of the most distinguished personalities of the state. Not only the Utkal University but also the Orissa State Museum and Madhusudan Law College are the offshoots of this Institution obtaining their independent status at a later stage.

Post-graduate teaching started in 1922 with the opening of M.A. English class. Considering its great heritage, the Institution has been awarded National Honour by the Government of India through the issue of a commemorative stamp in 1978. The library which was named after the Raja Sahib of Kanika is the largest in Orissa. Not only is this Institution an epitome of learning but also a piece of unique Victorian architecture in the country.

The University has 27 departments of which 20 are post-graduate departments. M.Phil. programme is available in 14 departments and all the departments have provision for Ph.D. & D.Litt. programmes. Presently the University runs 23 Post-Graduate courses with research facilities and 27 Undergraduate honours courses.

The mission of the institution is "To provide value-based quality education to students of all sections of society with a view to promoting exemplary work ethics, professional expertise and leadership in all walks of life to serve their fellowmen with justice, truth and love" with a pledge to redeem the motto of the University "Gyanameba Shakti" which means "Knowledge is Power".

The erstwhile Ravenshaw college was upgraded to a unitary university on the 15th day of November, 2006. and the intermediate wing of the this great institution has been continuing as Ravenshaw College.

More Info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravenshaw_College
http://www.ravenshawuniversity.ac.in/